Saturday, January 8, 2011

Creative Lunchboxes: Spider, Porcupine, Mouse and Pig Sandwiches!

CREATIVE LUNCHBOXES: SPIDER SANDWICHES
Porcupine, Mouse and Pig Sandwiches too!

Copyright Frugal Family Network, Inc., Reprinted with permission. http://www.frugalfamilynetwork.com


     Need a little pizzazz in the ol' school lunch box? Or even a fun surprise for your spouse's lunch sack? Try a Spider Sandwich!   Take two pieces of bread and punch out a circle with a cup. Spread peanut butter in between the slices and add 8 pretzel stick legs. I usually use four regular sticks and snap them in half. Complete the sandwich with two raisins or chocolate chips for eyes. To accompany the spider theme, draw a spider's web on a white disposable napkin.

     The first time my son, Timothy, took this sandwich to school, it was the rave of the lunch table!  Apparently news traveled quickly because I had a Mom contact me later for the "recipe."  In fact, at the beckoning of the class, I made 18 mini-spider sandwiches with web napkins and brought them
to school for a class snack. The compliments I received launched me into a brief phase of animal sandwich mania. 

      For several weeks, I experimented with peanut butter, bread, and pretzels to see how many different animal sandwiches I could create.  Three of my kids' favorites were:

Porcupine Sandwich
-- a circle sandwich with several pretzels sticking straight up from the top;

Mouse Sandwich -- a tear-drop shaped sandwich with pretzel whiskers and a curve pretzel tail;

and Pig Sandwich -- a circle sandwich with a small marshmallow slice for a snout, raisins for eyes, and pretzel stick triangles for ears. 

I send these in plastic containers rather than plastic bags to preserve their shape.  Cool lunches don't have to be expensive.  A little creativity goes a long way in making a frugal lunch the highlight of the day!
____________________________ 
Angie Zalewski and Deana Ricks are co-founders of the Frugal Family Network. They produce a popular newsletter to help people live contentedly within their means, and present workshops on stretching the family dollar.  Visit them at:  http://www.frugalfamilynetwork.com
Note from Lois: A tip I gave several years ago in "Heart to Heart" was this.  When packing an ordinary sandwich for your husband or child's lunch, just take one bite out of it before wrapping it!  See if they notice!  One lady told me how this was a hit with her husband!