This recipe is a total favorite of mine, and one that I stumbled upon in my many attempts to make a healthy waffle/pancake concoction. I love this recipe because it’s clean, delicious, and it’s rich in nutrients and low in empty carbohydrates (unlike most waffle recipes), so it doesn’t leave you feeling bogged down. Try this recipe over the upcoming holiday weekends for friends and family. It will be a guaranteed crowd pleaser! To make the recipe more autumn-like you can add 2-3 tablespoons of mashed and unsweetened canned pumpkin or roasted sweet potato.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 Tbsp. quinoa flour or all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- dash of cinnamon
- Toppings: raspberries and maple syrup
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a bowl mix together all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the batter over the waffle iron and cook until done.
- Add your favorite toppings.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Grease a grill pan with coconut oil and heat over medium.
- Spoon the batter onto the pan into small circles (whatever size you want your waffles).
- Lower the heat to medium-low. This will allow the little waffles to form ridges from the divots in the grill pan and get a nice “char” without burning it.
- Let the batter cook until bubbles start to form on the top, the edges look dry and the bottom is set.
- Using a spatula, flip the waffle.
- Press lightly on the waffle with the back of your spatula to ensure it adheres to the pan’s ridges. Cook until side is finished and transfer to a wire rack.
Total time: 20 minutes
- Nutrition per serving:
- Saturated Fat2g
- Protein 8g