Monday, July 23, 2012

Safe and Natural Produce Wash

by Lois Breneman - Heart to Heart
Copyright June, 2012

My nutritionist, Stephanie Hein, gave me this recipe for safely washing produce when I asked for a better alternative.  It's very inexpensive as well, compared to the ones available in stores.  When you mix this up, be sure to use a "large" bowl, because otherwise it will fizz up and overflow.  Children would love helping you make this easy recipe, because it would be a great science experiment for them as well!

1 cup water

1 cup vinegar (I used white distilled.  By the way, there is no vinegar smell because of the baking soda.)
2 Tbsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. lemon juice  (To save time, I added 2 extra tablespoons of vinegar rather than squeezing a lemon)

Pour into a spray bottle.  Spray produce liberally and allow to set for 5 minutes, then rinse well.  If you have a hand sprayer for rinsing, even the friction of the water helps to remove pesticides.