Saturday, August 23, 2014

Problem Solved! A New Way to Cook Fresh Eggs So They Peel Perfectly!

by Lois Breneman - Heart to Heart - August, 2014

For years I have tried various tips for hard cooking  fresh eggs to make deviled eggs so they wouldn't look like they had gone through a battle, with much of the egg white peeling away along with the shell.  As a result of numerous failed attempts, many of my hoped-for deviled eggs left me with no choice but to turn them into egg salad!   


None of these previously tried solutions really produced good results.  I have added baking soda to the water, pricked the eggs with a pin at the wider end, and plunged them into ice water before peeling.  Well, just today I tried a new way (new to me), and it worked like a charm!

The Real Solution
If you have a steamer, you're all set! 

1. Run water into the bottom of a cooking pot - one that a steamer fits well.
2. Place the eggs in a steamer, so that the eggs are not submerged in the water, but use enough water so it won't all boil away.
3. Bring the water to a boil and simmer in the steamer for 20 minutes.  Set a timer. 
4. Remove the colander (or steamer basket) from the pot after 20 minutes, and plunge the eggs in ice water to stop the cooking process.

Thankfully I found my farm fresh eggs peeled to a super smooth finish using this method!