Saturday, July 6, 2013

Ginger Paste - Homemade

Making your own ginger paste is more economical than buying it in a jar at the grocery store.  I refrigerate and freeze it in Tupperware midget cups to add to many dishes for extra flavor and good health.

I found it very hard to peel ginger root, but since it was organic I simply soaked it in hot water with a few drops of doTERRA On Guard essential oil for a few minutes to be sure it was completely clean.  A produce cleaner would work as well.  I figured the peel would just add a little more fiber, and as you can see below, not a trace of the organic peel is visible. 

It was chopped into about 1-inch pieces and blended in my Vitamix with enough olive oil to blend it well.  Water could be used instead.  I did need to tamper it down with the tampering tool but it only took less than two minutes to get it smooth and creamy. 

Next, I filled these Tupperware midget cups, getting it ready to freeze.  There was a little extra paste left over which made a wonderful cup of ginger tea, with a small amount of NuStevia for a sweetener.  It was so delicious and ginger supports the immune system and also aids in digestion, so I plan to drink ginger tea more often, using this paste.

Ginger paste in Tupperware midget cups and a cup of ginger tea



A closeup of the ginger paste



I add ginger paste to some chicken, turkey, and beef dishes, as well as to soups, casseroles, sauces, and dressings.